Wednesday, August 14, 2019

#21 Lassen Volcanic National Park

is a place we have visited several times over the years but never get tired of experiencing.This year early June proved to be quite different than previous times as most of the roads were still covered in snow! Seems the park experienced a record breaking snow fall last winter in the range of 135% of normal!  Surveyors measured 238 inches (19.8 feet) of snow at Lake Helen on April 1, 2019. So the Park Service has to wait for some melting before they can even drive snowplows in to begin clearing the main road through the park. We were mostly confined to the Manzanita Lake campground area but that was really ok as we were watched over by an impossibly large Ponderosa Pine. A venerable Grandmother of a tree which we measured at 18’2” in circumstance! I love huge trees, have since I was a kid climbing enormous cottonwoods in Montana. I always feel safer somehow.


It was time well spent as we met some really nice people there who were quite interested in our electric bikes and our solar setup. Cokie’s cleverness about outfitting our RV, The Pod, with all of the latest technology, ie, solar panels ,both on top and portable, Lithium-ion batteries, Eze-Lift spare tire setup, plus spare grey & black water storage tanks in the car seem to interest people a great deal. And rightfully so, I think. Anyway, Katherine and Bruce Pollock were really interested in our electric bikes. Katherine told us that she has a bad hip and can’t cycle with Jeff like she used to. She is working up to a hip replacement and wants a bike she can use before and after the surgery.  They both tried out Cokie’s and liked it. Well, ever since we were in Alaska in 2016 I’ve had trouble keeping my balance and have ridden hardly at all. I told Katherine that I was thinking of selling mine but would give her a jingle when I decided. It took me about a week but I settled on a price, texted her and hoped she still wanted it. She did! So I told her we would be happy to deliver it to their home over in Scott’s Valley in the little town of Etna.  

Mt. Lassen











Visitors Center

No comments: